Delta, Colorado is the county seat of Delta County and is located in the heart of the Grand Mesa. See health-beauty-guides for top counties in Colorado. With an estimated population of 8,415 people as of 2019, it is the largest city in Delta County and one of the largest cities in western Colorado. The geography of Delta consists mainly of rolling hills and valleys with a few mountains to the north, east and west. The climate is mild and semi-arid with warm summers and cold winters.
Delta’s history dates back to 1881 when it was founded as a trading post for local farmers, ranchers and miners. In 1895 it was officially incorporated as a town. Today Delta serves as an agricultural center for southwestern Colorado with its main industries being livestock ranching, dairy farming, fruit growing and retail trade.
The politics in Delta are heavily influenced by the Republican party who have held control since 1884 when they won their first mayoral election. Education is provided by Delta County School District which operates five elementary schools, two middle schools, one high school and a vocational school.
Landmarks in Delta include Confluence Park located on Main Street which features historic buildings from the late 19th century including an old blacksmith shop; The Grand Mesa Observatory which provides visitors with stunning views from atop Grand Mesa; The Hotchkiss Home Museum which showcases artifacts from early pioneer life; And lastly, The Escalante Canyon Overlook which offers breathtaking panoramic views of western Colorado’s canyon country.
Males: 3,018 (47.2%), Females: 3,382 (52.8%)
Zip code: 81416
Median resident age: 38.1 years
Median household income: $27,415
Median house value: $95,000
Races in Delta:
- White Non-Hispanic (75.3%)
- Hispanic (22.5%)
- Other race (9.9%)
- Two or more races (2.3%)
- American Indian (1.6%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (16.6%), English (10.3%), United States (8.8%), Irish (8.0%), Dutch (3.8%), Italian (2.6%).
Elevation: 4953 feet
Land area: 5.3 square miles
Delta, Colorado is a small town of about 8,000 people located in the western part of the state. It is an agricultural community with a strong focus on farming and ranching. The population is diverse with many different ethnic backgrounds represented. Approximately 55% of the population is Hispanic or Latino, 32% is Caucasian, 7% is African American and 6% are other ethnicities. The median age in Delta is 34 years old and there are more females than males residing in the town. The average household size is 2.5 people, which indicates that many families have children living at home.
The economy of Delta relies heavily on agriculture-related industries such as farming, ranching and food processing. There are also several small businesses that provide goods and services to the local community. Additionally, there are some larger employers such as hospitals, banks and government offices that employ many residents of Delta. Education also plays an important role in the city’s economy with two public schools serving students from kindergarten through high school graduation.
Overall, Delta offers its residents a peaceful atmosphere with plenty of open space for outdoor activities such as camping and fishing along the Gunnison River which runs through town. Residents enjoy easy access to nearby cities such as Grand Junction for shopping or entertainment opportunities while still having a rural lifestyle close to home. With its diverse population and strong sense of community spirit, Delta provides an ideal place for families to call home.
For population 25 years and over in Delta
- High school or higher: 69.8%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 13.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.6%
- Unemployed: 4.4%
- Mean travel time to work: 21.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Delta city
- Never married: 16.8%
- Now married: 59.9%
- Separated: 2.0%
- Widowed: 8.7%
- Divorced: 12.7%
9.1% Foreign born (8.9% Latin America).
Hospital/medical center in Delta:
- DELTA COUNTY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (100 STAFFORD LN PO BOX 10100)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Delta:
- MONTROSE MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 26 miles; MONTROSE, CO)
- ST MARYS HOSPITAL AND MEDICAL CENTER (about 35 miles; GRAND JUNCTION, CO)
- COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 41 miles; GRAND JUNCTION, CO)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Delta:
- MONTROSE REGIONAL (about 21 miles; MONTROSE, CO; Abbreviation: MTJ)
- WALKER FIELD (about 41 miles; GRAND JUNCTION, CO; Abbreviation: GJT)
- TELLURIDE REGIONAL (about 56 miles; TELLURIDE, CO; Abbreviation: TEX)
Other public-use airports nearest to Delta:
- BLAKE FIELD (about 4 miles; DELTA, CO; Abbreviation: 1V9)
- HAWKINS FIELD (about 5 miles; DELTA, CO; Abbreviation: D17)
- CRAWFORD (about 30 miles; CRAWFORD, CO; Abbreviation: 99V)
Colleges and Universities
College/University in Delta:
- DELTA-MONTROSE AREA VOCATIONAL TECHNICAL CENTER (Full-time enrollment: 941; Location: 1765 US HWY 50; Public)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Delta:
- MESA STATE COLLEGE (about 41 miles; GRAND JUNCTION, CO; Full-time enrollment: 4,415)
- COLORADO MOUNTAIN COLLEGE (about 74 miles; GLENWOOD SPRINGS, CO; Full-time enrollment: 3,400)
- WESTERN STATE COLLEGE COLORADO (about 78 miles; GUNNISON, CO; Full-time enrollment: 2,199)
- FORT LEWIS COLLEGE (about 101 miles; DURANGO, CO; Full-time enrollment: 4,051)
- SAN JUAN COLLEGE (about 135 miles; FARMINGTON, NM; Full-time enrollment: 2,837)
- ADAMS STATE COLLEGE (about 175 miles; ALAMOSA, CO; Full-time enrollment: 4,147)
- UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO AT BOULDER (about 208 miles; BOULDER, CO; Full-time enrollment: 25,355)
Public high schools in Delta:
- DELTA HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 640; Location: 1400 PIONEER ROAD; Grades: 09 – 12)
- DELTA COUNTY RECOVERY SCHOOL (Students: 9; Location: 107 WEST 11TH, SUITE 18; Grades: 07 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Delta:
- VISION SCHOOL (Students: 704; Location: 7655 2075; Grades: PK – 12)
- LINCOLN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 524; Location: 1050 HASTINGS; Grades: KG – 05)
- DELTA MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 524; Location: 822 GRAND AVENUE; Grades: 06 – 08)
- GARNET MESA ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 517; Location: 600 A STREET; Grades: PK – 05)
Private primary/middle school in Delta:
- DELTA SDA SCHOOL (Students: 16; Location: PO BOX 91; Grades: KG – 8)
Library in Delta:
- DELTA COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY DISTRICT (Operating income: $798,504; Location: 2315 PIONEER ROAD; 84,753 books; 3,183 audio materials; 4,523 video materials; 210 serial subscriptions)