According to Recipesinthebox, Ransom Canyon is a small city located in Lubbock County, Texas. Its geography is characterized by flat plains and rolling hills, with some areas of rugged terrain. The climate is hot and dry in the summer months, with temperatures reaching up to 100 degrees Fahrenheit on average. Winters are mild with temperatures rarely going below freezing. The city has a rich history, dating back to the late 1800s when it was founded by ranchers and farmers.
Politics in Ransom Canyon are strongly conservative, with the majority of residents voting Republican in elections. The economy is largely based on agriculture and ranching, but there are also several businesses that provide services to local residents. Education is provided by Lubbock Independent School District, which serves students from kindergarten through twelfth grade. There are also several private schools in the area for those who prefer a more individualized educational experience.
The city of Ransom Canyon is home to many landmarks that attract visitors from around the state and beyond. These include Lake Ransom Canyon State Park, which offers camping, fishing, swimming and other recreational activities; El Capitan Lake Nature Preserve; Buffalo Springs Lake; and Canyonside Park which offers access to scenic trails for hiking or biking. Other attractions include art galleries showcasing local artwork; antique shops selling unique items; restaurants featuring regional cuisine; and numerous festivals throughout the year such as the annual Red Dirt Festival which celebrates Texas music culture.
Population: 1,011. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,061 (+4.9% change)
Males: 491 (48.6%), Females: 520 (51.4%)
Zip code: 79366
Median resident age: 45.0 years
Median household income: $78,427
Median house value: $150,000
Races in Ransom Canyon:
- White Non-Hispanic (93.5%)
- Hispanic (4.8%)
- Other race (2.6%)
- Two or more races (1.2%)
- American Indian (0.6%)
Ancestries: English (22.9%), German (14.6%), United States (12.1%), Irish (9.2%), Scotch-Irish (4.1%), Swedish (2.8%).
Elevation: 3100 feet
Land area: 0.8 square miles
Ransom Canyon, Texas is a small city located in the northern part of the state. It has a population of about 6,000 people, and is home to many retired individuals and families. The median age is around 44, making it an ideal place for those looking to retire or settle down. The majority of the population are Caucasian, with about 8% Hispanic and 2% African American. The town is known for its rural atmosphere, with plenty of open space and natural beauty. It’s also known for its tight-knit community spirit, where people look out for each other and help each other out in times of need. Education is also important in Ransom Canyon; there are several excellent schools in the area that provide quality education to students from kindergarten through high school. The town also boasts a variety of recreational activities including fishing, hunting, hiking, camping and more. There are also plenty of restaurants and stores to satisfy all types of tastes and budgets. With its friendly atmosphere and abundance of activities, Ransom Canyon is an ideal place to call home!
For population 25 years and over in Ransom Canyon
- High school or higher: 97.6%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 50.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 23.9%
- Unemployed: 1.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 21.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Ransom Canyon town
- Never married: 13.9%
- Now married: 78.7%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 2.7%
- Divorced: 4.6%
5.0% Foreign born (2.4% Europe, 1.4% Asia, 1.1% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +246 (+32.2%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Ransom Canyon:
- IHS HOSPITAL AT LUBBOCK (about 11 miles; LUBBOCK, TX)
- HIGHLAND MEDICAL CENTER (about 13 miles; LUBBOCK, TX)
- COVENANT CHILDREN HOSPITAL (about 15 miles; LUBBOCK, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Ransom Canyon:
- LUBBOCK INTL (about 13 miles; LUBBOCK, TX; Abbreviation: LBB)
- MIDLAND INTERNATIONAL (about 116 miles; MIDLAND, TX; Abbreviation: MAF)
- AMARILLO INTL (about 116 miles; AMARILLO, TX; Abbreviation: AMA)
Other public-use airports nearest to Ransom Canyon:
- SLATON MUNI (about 4 miles; SLATON, TX; Abbreviation: F49)
- TOWN & COUNTRY AIRPARK (about 9 miles; LUBBOCK, TX; Abbreviation: F82)
- ABERNATHY MUNI (about 22 miles; ABERNATHY, TX; Abbreviation: F83)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Ransom Canyon:
- TEXAS TECH UNIVERSITY (about 12 miles; LUBBOCK, TX; Full-time enrollment: 22,439)
- WAYLAND BAPTIST UNIVERSITY (about 46 miles; PLAINVIEW, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,578)
- SOUTH PLAINS COLLEGE (about 51 miles; LEVELLAND, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,851)
- WEST TEXAS A & M UNIVERSITY (about 100 miles; CANYON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,476)
- MIDLAND COLLEGE (about 107 miles; MIDLAND, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,800)
- AMARILLO COLLEGE (about 114 miles; AMARILLO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,876)
- EASTERN NEW MEXICO UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 123 miles; PORTALES, NM; Full-time enrollment: 2,955)